Saturday, September 20, 2014

'Hegemonic masculinity' by Ravyn LaRue

I’ve found myself very dismissive of straight boys recently
and I felt somehow simultaneously mean and empowered
but it seemed also that I was a hypocrite
I kept on grappling with myself with:
“How can I identify as pansexual,
if I’m ruling out someone due to factors related to gender”
and “how can I be a demigirl
if in my gender presentation
I want absolutely nothing to do with hyper masculinity”
but then I discovered a term that was my master key:
Hegemonic masculinity
That is the thing I want absolutely nothing with
since what seems to compel gross straight boys
(and probably some mislead closeted queer ones)
to be absolutely misogynistic
and add "No Homo" as an epilogue
to any human emotion they’re brave enough to show
that is the masculinity I want no part in
both in my own identity
and in the identity of anyone I might ever choose to share myself with
one of my teachers once eluded to me being a man-hating feminist
and I’d like to use #NotAllMen as a power for good for a second
and say that I most certainly don’t hate men, only Hegemonic masculinity
which, while I’m at it, is a way more wonderful phrase than “testosterone poisoned"
since it isn’t the hormone’s fault that people behave awfully

No comments:

Post a Comment