Saturday, September 20, 2014

'Proof I’d Make A Charming Yitzhak' by Ravyn LaRue

I was called “butch”
and I don’t mind
but it caught me off guard
since I wasn’t even trying
and believe me I have tried
yet today
in my glitter tights
and femme shoes
I was read as more masculine
than when I make a valiant attempt
I felt weirdly honored though
that I was considered in the same category
as those who have rebellious disregard for gender roles
when I am still so shy with my experimenting
but I want to try more stuff
since college is meant to be when one finds themselves
and does different things to see what fits
I’ve heard it said that gender experimentation
makes one become more whole
so I’m going to keep doing my thing
and perhaps I’ll be read as butch on a day I’m actually trying

No comments:

Post a Comment